Friday, January 21, 2011

Out For a Sunday Drive

Sorry this post is a little late this week. I am going to try to start having craft post on Tuesdays and the Pulling Into The Station post on Thursdays. I made this car tote for baby boy for Christmas. We have tested it out once at church. He really didn't use the road side at all. He was more interested in running the cars into the back wall since we were on the back row. Oh, well! Maybe he will use the road sometime.

I don't have measurements I just eyeballed it. I wish I would have made it a little taller so there was more road space and I would have probably added another row of cars, but this was my first attempt at anything like this.

I decided to put his name on the outside so that we might be able to keep up with it. I just wonder undered some felt letters on the side. I need to go back and iron them on better or even stitch over them so they don't come off. I just used fabric and felt that I had in my stash. I am thinking about doing a tote for baby girl's little Polly Pockets and Disney Princesses. These are perfect for car trips or keeping your kids occupied in church, or at least they are supposed to be.

Deets~First off I knew that I wanted to make it 5 cars across so I took 5 cars and laid them out across the fabric, and then cut the fabric that width. I cut out two rectangles the same size for the front and insides. I then cut the green fabric. i ironed down the two sides of fabric, and then sewed them onto the black with lines for pockets. I made it where the openings of the pockets would be at the top that way when he's carrying it they won't fall out. I wonder undered the street lines and bushes on, and then I sewed the water on. These were all made out of felt. I made handles by cutting four strips of fabric. I sewed them wrong sides together and then pulled them out to the right side. I then wonder undered the name on the outside of the tote. I sewed the two right sides together on the long ends. Then, I flipped the tote inside out. I ironed down the edges on the short side, and I pinned the handles in. I then did a top-stitch over the short sides and over the handles. It was then done.

I think I got my idea from over at Homemade By Jill.

1 comment:

homemade by jill said...

Very cute! I like that it has handles ... something I wish I put on mine.