Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Reverse Applique Shirt

I made this cute shirt for my nephews birthday. I think it turned out rather cute for the first time that I have done reverse applique.


I bought a shirt on sale at Michael's, and then I found a t-shirt that my husband never wore to use as the red part. This is definitely a great way to use those promotional shirts you sometimes get.


I printed out my name, and then traced it onto tissue paper. I pinned the red to the inside of the shirt, and then pinned the name to the front. I then took my time sewing around each letter. After that, I cut the access red fabric away on the inside of the shirt. Then, I picked the tissue paper that was left out of the design. When all was done, I took a pair of sharp scissors and carefully cut away the blue shirt to reveal the red underneath. The design and color possibilities are endless.

I like the red and blue so much that I am thinking about making USA shirts for July 4th. I have also thought about selling these. If anybody is interested in a shirt, let me know.

One of the commenters posed a good question. Will the edges of the cut shirt fray any? It depends on which type of fabric it is. I think with the knits it might roll up a little but not fray With other fabrics, it would fray a little.

2 comments:

AllieMakes! said...

FUN! Looks great!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Rachel - Following In My Shoes said...

Ooooo -- that's a really cute idea! When you wash it, to the edges of the cut shirt fray? I can see that being really cute!